Tuesday, May 08, 2007

That strange woman...

Heh, I'm incredibly sleepy today. But aside from that, let me tell you all about this crazy woman who I think is a student in Engineering (I don't know what year though)...

There is this woman in Engineering whom, if you pointed out to anyone who studies here, everyone would say was a little weird. Firstly, let me tell you about what she does in the computer labs. Our computer labs, although maybe a little small at times, has sufficiently comfortable chairs that can be easily moved. Instead of taking advantage of this to sit on it however, she apparently eschews the blessing that is the chair, choosing to instead kneel, YES, kneel, on the floor and do her work. This wouldn't be so strange if she didn't constantly make strange noises as well as shift forwards and backwards in an odd manner. She also makes an odd habit of asking people for the time, when firstly, the computers themselves display the time, and the labs also have clocks, and she has a watch strapped to HER WRIST.

Let me tell you something about Engineering students. Even from Day 1, it is pounded into our heads that we are the cream of the crop, the best that New Zealand has to offer (which, as obnoxious as it sounds, I would admit is partially true, considering that they would take in people with the best results, but then again, NZ's exams are easy...) Also know that as the best, the simple operation of a computer should be common sense, especially if you have managed to type in it, log in, download and print, and even burn a CD. Especially burn a CD, since that's relevant here. If you have managed to actually burn a CD prior to trying to load it into the PC's in the lab, how is it that you cannot find the CD drive? HOW?!? She obviously could not find it, and well... There's only so many places this elusive drive can be. Perhaps behind the monitor on that huge black box with a really obvious button that basically screams "Press ME and insert YOUR CD!"? Or how bout on the huge black box down at your feet? Okay, I understand that not all PC's are the same, but the concept behind each one is simple enough, and even grandmothers can locate this drive that she spent minutes searching for, before finally embarrassing herself by asking one of the staff, who gave her an odd look before pointing it out. Its hardly rocket science to me... I think the faculty should perhaps reconsider their entry scheme.

Not only that, but I heard from one of my friends (who I happened to bump into since she and I had no lectures). Well, she told me that our subject in discussion also is apparently a little too slack on personal hygiene, and tolerance for the senses of others at that. While my friend was at the labs, cheerfully completing her assignments and such, Crazed Woman walks into the lab and sits right next to her. That was fine with her, and she continues. Then, Crazed Woman takes off her boots. Now, all I can say is, I don't want to imagine the smell emanating from her feet. Needless to say, she wasn't wearing socks, and my poor friend could not take the smell considering it pretty much stunk up the row she was in.

My friend also mentioned something else. Apparently, Crazed Woman stuffs tissue down her shirt. Okay, I understand if woman feel flat chested, and so does my friend, but she adds that instead of being a little bit sneakier about it, she makes her shirt stuffing a little too obvious. As in, you can clearly see the lumps of misshapen tissue. And not only that, but you can also see tissue poking from the neckline, and I've been told that once, her stuffing fell out of her shirt while she was walking. Thankfully, she didn't notice, or what she'll have done next will probably have induced post-traumatic stress to any witnesses in the vicinity.

And oh! I neglect to mention her weird liking for occupying multiple seats. In the engineering cafe, which is a rather long and wide area, people are often found there socializing or otherwise doing work. She, however, has this strange habit. She will firstly, drag a table and a chair to the edge of the cafe to sit in the sunshine. Well, this isn't so strange yet, but... After somehow managing to fill up the whole table with her things, she will order a filtered coffee or something, and walk over to another table at the OTHER END of the place with her coffee and more things, and start having coffee there. So, she has just managed to occupy two tables on opposite ends of the area. Then, she begins to shuffle back and forth, shuttling her things back and forth from one table to the next, sometimes dragging additional chairs to her table in the process... Right...

No comments: