Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Okay... Work... Definitely.

Perhaps I spoke too soon. I had barely walked in to see my supervisor for 10 minutes today, when I got plonked down with Tom to "re-design" the experimental rig for the project. Turns out Tom already has a solution he thought up, and so did my supervisor, so I was supposed to create working prototypes of them (first with a drawing, then SolidWorks, then print it onto perspex using the laser cutter). 

Problem was, the ideas were far from completed, hence the "design" aspect. And I had no clue on how to approach this problem either initially, considering that it was a problem from the aspect of mechanical engineering. Let's just say, I get the feeling Tom already knew what he was expecting, or rather, was thinking of the solution as I continuously bugged him with daft questions. More like, I was learning to think of mechanical solutions and then seeing if my ideas were sound. I'll just say that most of it wasn't sound, and I came up with a lot of solutions that didn't make sense. On the other hand, I learnt a tiny smidgen more about the materials we're using for the linear force actuators. They're made from DEAs (Dielectric Elastomeric Actuators), a material that's apparently been around for some time now. Problem was, these actuators generally transmit compressive strains if you hook them up the way we planned for it, so some very ingenious solution was required to make them into tensile forces. Naturally, I floundered for the longest time before Tom rescued me, yet again by suggesting that I use a piece of Perspex as a sort of level to transmit tension. I feel retarded.

So yeah, I'm getting used to having a espresso machine at work now, although my coffee making skills are lacking somewhat. Still can't froth the milk to the state I want it to be. Pointers anyone? All I can remember is that you froth until it's just too hot to touch, but I can't remember how much to froth/which depth to froth at, and so on. Oh well.

No comments: