Tuesday, November 13, 2007

to come of age...

I have learnt that sometimes it is good to call people and keep in touch with them, even when it seems like you don't know them well. Sometimes, throughout the progression of the year, you have gotten to know them well enough. Or even if you haven't, who says that you cannot get to be better friends with them?

However, I have also learnt that sometimes, you must choose who you invest your time in. A sad truth, but not every potential friend you can keep in touch with, nor can you have everyone as a close friend. Time never is on your side, and compromise is a necessity.

Ever feel like time itself rushes so quickly, so inexorably that you feel left behind? Like a tide washing you out to the ocean, leaving you stranded amongst the great blue, without the support of familiarity? Well, I guess its only fair that everyone would feel this way from time to time.

How about those moments when time itself slows to a crawl, never seeming to move? I don't think I've experienced that for years. I think I'd wish to go back to those days. The times when life was much simpler. When everything was so short, so fast. But then again, in those days, even there were days of time zipping by, too fast to be remembered.

I dislike the fact that I don't have enough time for everything, but I enjoy the rush of doing everything I can, enjoying what is new and old. I fear that it may all end too quickly for me though, and I will be left behind as the tide washes me onto the shore, stranded.

So for now, I will write this into a moment in time, one of the landmarks, one of the breadcrumbs marking my trail. At least, even if I cannot separate my experiences into discrete parts, I will have this as a reference, something concrete in a sea of abstract thought, a thread in the woven pattern. And who knows, perhaps I will remember this little place where I once chronicled my thoughts, years ago, in a world of my own that I sought to conquer.

The mind coming of age is such a hard ordeal.

No comments: