Monday, January 28, 2008

Auckland Anniversary Day?

You know, I seriously don't get the point of the Auckland Anniversary day. The only thing it is really, is just a public holiday after all. Nothing happens in the quiet deserted streets of the city. Everyone's away at the beaches, or relaxing in the comforts of home. Fun, too, I guess, but where's the sense in that?

Went over to Al's today, and well, I watched a movie called "C.R.A.Z.Y." That movie is ingenious. Actually really well written too. Its one of those movies full of themes and film techniques, and yet with a story simple enough and captivating. I was actually blown away by it. Can't believe I've never seen it before too. Just awesome, I tell you.

Hmm, I better get to typing out my bloody Accounting assignment out. I mean, I think the marker thinks my handwriting is a little hard to read. Probably because its so small. Ah well, whats there to do when you write tiny. In a way though, I think I'm ready for lectures to start again. Some semblance of normalcy is what I need I figure; going to lectures, interacting with Mike before lectures, then with Richie during and after lectures, before gym, and then back. I think sometimes I like routine a little too much. But I guess its not a bad thing, really.

Al brought up a topic today which I had short discussion with him about. What do you think, really, though? Everyone's read of stories where people can alter their personality, well, not really personality I guess, just the appearance of it, by subtle nuances and gestures. Mannerisms too, come to think of it. Even clothing. But really, do you ever reach a point when you lose yourself to the extent that you are the sum of it all, because each one of these "persona" are you? Or could you retain a sense of self, somehow knowing which is false, which is true? I went for the former, Al for the latter. I guess he has a point too, and that its all situational, and all down to how deeply you etch the differences on yourself. But think of it too. In most of these stories, these people feel so distant from others, from themselves. So maybe, just maybe, did they lose a portion of themselves, the very thing itself which defines us for we who are? Or maybe it was shattered into many portions, each a part of the whole. Whichever the outcome, the whole ceases to be since it is never manifested, except maybe through its agent personalities. I don't really know how to express what I think of the idea. There's just so much to say, so much to write about, and I don't think I know how well-formed my ideas are. Maybe its still yet a gut feeling, or maybe its retained knowledge from what I've read, heard, and thought for a long time. I think its a bit of both, but its not something I can fully articulate.

Enough rambling I believe. I think I shall get started with my assignment.

No comments: