Sunday, March 15, 2009

Round the Bays (Pt 1)

This is Part 1 because I left my camera (as well as my other shirt) with Iain, so I wouldn't be uploading 'em photos till tomorrow or something.

Round the Bays was pretty awesome. We congregated in front of Showgirls (yes, that strip club) and distributed the T-shirts and stuff. I might even take a picture of it, I thought it was pretty awesome. Then we got out the mobile Tui couch. It's a pretty poor contraption really, but it steers and brakes, so all good.

Unfortunately, we got delayed from starting because of some random thing, and this was bad, since I started to feel the call of nature. Of course, I held that in, and kept drinking the beers which are omnipresent at all Engineering-related events. 

Eventually, the whole thing started, and yes, John Key (our new Prime Minister, that's who he is) blew the starting horn. And when we went past him, did we do anything? Of course! We sang him one of those drinking songs. Specially for him. We even sang the Engineering drinking song as well. Two songs for him! He should feel proud. The guy just smiled and waved though. I wonder what he thought about the whole thing.

A short amount of time and a short distance later, I decided I couldn't ignore the call of nature and so I ran to a petrol station with Antony's brother. He looks just like Antony, by the way. Unfortunately it was closed, so I was forced to relieve myself in the bushes. But then again, I wasn't the only one. There was a whole line of us too. Those port-a-loos had way too much of a huge queue.

I think a few people (parents) might have been a little scandalised, but they probably should be somewhat used to it now. We did keep our language to a rough minimum, of course, the occasional "motherfucker" and "masturbate" which are present in the drinking songs couldn't be suppressed, but hey, all good. They were probably more scandalised at our running, drinking, pushing the beer trolley, and yelling "Get out of the way! Trolley coming through!" Hehe.

The commentator even made a point to mention us as we crossed the finish line eventually, probably an hour and a half or so. He said something along the lines of us being the noisiest and probably most inebriated. Technically, there was this other group of people, rather old, pushing a trolley with beer too. Pretty cool. We even shared a drinking stop with 'em.

As usual, at the end we had a barbeque, and the traditional rugby league game with Med. As usual, they crushed us, but then again, they have the token Pacific Islanders on their team anyway. Did I mention that some of them are rather vicious? The Med players I mean.

Well, that's it for now. Pics next time, I promise.

No comments: